Album Analysis: Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby


     Avril Lavigne just released her fourth album, Goodbye Lullaby earlier this March, and coming from an Avril fan, let me tell you, the wait was worth it! It is definitely more laid-back than her third album, and it almost felt like she made this album in a lab because she combined aspects from her first three albums to make this record. So, from worst to best, here is the analysis for each track on this album:


The Disasters
Alice (Extended)
     What can I say? We've heard this Alice in Wonderland inspired track in the movie credits, and having listened to it a couple of times, I am tired of this song. Actually, the first time I heard it, I wasn't that impressed with Avril screaming almost every lyric. Instead of this being track 14, I would've preferred a new more upbeat song, or an early B-side even.

Smile
     It's like the second most upbeat song in GL next to What The Hell, and I just thought it was a lazy song. It wasn't forgettable, but with all the other tracks, this song seemed like filler. Although I do love the first lyric: "You know I'm a crazy bitch, I do what I want when I feel like it" It gave us memories from The Best Damn Thing, but this song was like a reject from that album.

4 Real
     I do love the lyrics and all, but I forgot this song in a heartbeat. There's really not much to say except I thought the verses sounded better than the chorus itself.

The Good, But Please Don't Be a Single Because There Are Still Better Tracks
Black Star
     I know some of you will be scratching your heads that I put this 90-second lullaby above 4 Real, but Black Star really set the mood up for the album. Once the piano keys played, you knew the album was going to be a sad album. It's also very calming, and the only thing really lacking in this track is good/better lyrics.

Not Enough
     Just like title suggested, this track simply was "not enough" to be great. It's just average but what could've made it better was to keep it stripped down like the other tracks. Once all those instruments kicked in at the chorus, the song for me didn't work.

Push
     Avril really loves this track, and she's pushing it (pun intended) to become the second single from the album. When I saw that Push and Smile were the final candidates for the second single, I was like: "Really?!... really?!" (Miz style) It's okay I guess, but with the market this century, an acousticified song is not gonna cut it. I like the theme of the lyrics, but the lyrics itself is very...

What the Hell
     I personally loved TBDT yet some Avril fans despised the album for being 'poppy'. Along with Smile, this song is pretty similar to the songs seen in that album. It's no surprise that this was chosen to be the first single for the album because it fits what most people love now. It's a good song, but it was almost like false advertising when they put this out instead of the other more stripped-down songs.

Good, Please Be The Second Single Rather Than Push or Smile But There Are Still Tracks Better Than You
I Love You
     One of the tracks at first listen, I liked already, but since then, it's gone downhill for me. I guess the reason I loved this so much was because it was a happy song, and some songs are really... sad. It always put a smile on my face when I put this on. The lyrics are quite nonsense, but it's forgiven.

Goodbye
     The closer for the track is a nice song and it's very fitting. At sometime, with the strings and all, it almost felt like 'Innocent' from her third album. Avril's voice here was very clean, but unlike Innocent, it doesn't really cut it as a single. Again, some nonsensical lyrics going on with Avril just randomly singing "lullaby" again and again at some point.

Be a Single Before Push and Smile Steal Your Spotlight!
Remember When
     At first, I honestly didn't like this song, but it grew on me after more listens. Unlike the other songs, it was piano-driven for some parts, until the guitar and the violins(?) took over. Also, there is a remarkable difference on the lyric-writing on this song than the other ones mentioned for the better. It might make you shed a tear or two if you can relate to it. This was one of the rare moments in the album where the inclusion of drums and the electric guitar worked for the better.

Stop Standing There
     I love this song to death. Well, I loved it more when the 30-second previews came out. I was almost 100% sure this would be the third single of the album. This song is a good example of the statement I said above about Avril combining different aspects from her albums. Mix Let Go's simplicity with The Best Damn Thing's lyrics and you got this song. The only thing I really disliked about this song is the third verse. It felt out of place  and it seemed like it was just put in there to have a different beat.

Darlin'
     This was probably the most-talked about song pre-WTH because of Avril revealing she wrote it when she was 15. Well... how can 15 year-old Avril have better songwriting skills than 26 year-old Avril? From the lyrics down to the acousticness to the sincerity, this song is excellent. If you were given a chance to listen to three songs only from every album of Avril, don't miss out on this one! If you really love Avril, this is a chance to really get to know her. It almost felt like they took this out of Let Go.

Crossing Fingers You Still Could Be The 3rd and 2nd Single, Respectively
Everybody Hurts
     I absolutely, tremendously love this song. There's a very rare chance that this becomes the third single (or any single) but I wish the people who decide Avril's next single really take another listen to Everybody Hurts. I think this is an underrated song in this album where songs like Smile, Stop Standing There, Push & the next track in this review are getting more praise. It's acoustic for most parts, and the "la, la, la"s in the end really worked. The lyrics are also very great, that you could feel Avril's pain while she's singing.

Wish You Were Here
     Probably the most-praised song of the album is also the best, in my opinion. It deserves the praise it's getting, and really, the only thing I could criticize in this song is again, I thought Avril's team could've just made a simple acoustic song without the other instruments joining the guitar. But, it does make me want to buy the deluxe version of Goodbye Lullaby where the acoustic version of this song is in. Honestly, I was shocked to read that this didn't make it to the 'final cut' when deciding for the second single. If everything falls to place, this could be the next 'Innocent'. (the best song on the album, but doesn't get released as a single)

     That concludes my Goodbye Lullaby review. My final rating: 3/4. Had Avril thought out the lyrics more and cut back on the drums, electric guitar etc., this would've gotten a 3.5. It would be a perfect if she took out the three stinkers. If I were to rank this album against her other albums, I guess this would be the second best album she released, next to Under My Skin. If you're still deciding on whether or not you should buy this record, I only have two advices.

     1.) If you were a fan of Avril's albums, namely Let Go, then buy this album.
     2.) Don't listen to critics. They only like the pop crap some "artists" put out.

     Match of the Day will come later tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top