'PSYCH' EPISODE REVIEW: Pilot (NEW)

Everyone loves 'Psych'! Curse y'all who don't. I have not seen Season 4 yet, but that's fine. I'm not yet done with the third-season anyway. I'mma review the first episode of 'Psych' today along with another Glee-related review. I decided that this week is Glee Week, leading up to the premiere of Wheels, the next Glee episode! Back to business...

So this episode doesn't start like the usual, which is expected because well... it's the first episode. One thing that's unique in Psych is in each episode, there's a flashback of the young Shawn Spencer, young Burton "Gus" Guster and a younger Henry Spencer. Another thing that makes me love Psych is the fact it's not that serious and the mysteries are taken lightly, which we don't see much nowadays.

Shawn is a guy who has very good vision and notices lots of details, and Gus is his best friend who is the more serious and smarter guy. It's Monk all over again, except in my opinion, this show is funnier! The characters introduced here are: Henry Spencer, Shawn's dad who hates Shawn, and usually orders him to do some things for him. Also, Carlton Lassiter is introduced, and his sidekick, Lucinda Barry who has an alleged affair with Lassiter himself. Chief Karen is also here, who is the Interim & Buzz is a policeman.

I actually like everybody in the cast, and they play their roles very well. I couldn't think of anyone who could've filled in their shoes who could do the role better... except for Lucinda Barry. She is a very boring person, and she just didn't contribute much. I am so glad that she was replaced by Juliet O' Hera in the second episode.

The main plot of the series starts here in this episode, so let's go... (some spoilers ahead)

Shawn sees the local news and a guy is being interviewed about a crime. Using his extraordinary vision, he solves the case (by only watching the news) and calls the police. However, the tables were turned when Shawn is under suspicion because apparently the evidence he gave was "too good". The police people threaten to arrest him when he doesn't explain how he saw the evidence. Then one sentence totally sets-up the main plot; "I'm psychic." (It's a lie) The scene starts to be a little funny afterwards, when Lassiter & Lucinda were accused of sleeping together by Shawn. Lassiter denies the accusation, and tells the policemen outside to arrest him. Shawn gets out of it by using his memory and vision to make the policemen believe he is. When he finally goes out of the building, Chief Vick tells him to solve a kidnapping case. If he doesn't solve it, he's going to be arrested. With the help of Gus, he starts to solve the case and manages to do so with a little flirting. However, it quickly turns into a murder case.

I thought that for a first episode, this was pretty funny, since usually, pilots are usually not as good as the succeeding episodes. It was the first episode I also watched and I found myself laughing through a couple of scenes. Also, it's hard not to guess who-done-it! Sometimes, the people who commit the crime is very unpredictable and you have to think outside the box.

The best five moments of the episode are: 1.) Shawn saying that Lassiter should not eat the chicken in the restaurant, and the scene after that. 2.) Shawn going through the family's trash. 3.) Gus-Shawn scene at the office about naming the office 'Psych' 4.) Lucinda wanting her co-workers to think that she got her high position the "hard way" Note 1 5.) Gus trying to snatch the bag away from the person

And the final score of Pilot is...

OVERALL SCORE:

8.1

Final Thought: It could have been better, but it was still a great episode throughout.

That's it for this day. A 'Glee' episode review is coming up tomorrow. Stay tuned! I don't own the picture above, I got it from TV Squad. I hope tomorrow will be a great day. I'm finally done reciting the Elocution piece and God, I'm so glad it's done and over with. I don't know why, but the songs Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray) sang on Glee are stuck in my head. Oh, Psych is officially my favorite show. If there were ever a pineapple club, I'd join it. Goodbye~

Note 1: I don't know why, but this scene was really funny. If you didn't get the idea that was being said, it means that Lucinda wants the people to know she got her job as Lassiter's sidekick because she got it the hard way, when she really got it the easy way because she's been sleeping with Lassiter. I think everyone got that joke though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top